- Imagine that you know about May Day. Read the questions below and write a paragraph by answering them.
- Which day is observed as May Day?
- Why is it observed?
- Where is it observed?
- What is the history behind it?
- How long did people work at the beginning of Industrial Revolution?
- What would happen if the workers did not stand up and demand their-rights?
- For whom is the day most important?
May 1st is internationally observed as May Day. The day is observed to commemorate the historic struggle of working people. The day is observed in most of the countries of the world. The day has a historical background. The privileges that the workers enjoy today- a minimum wage, safety laws and eight hour workday came out for the sacrifice of the workers in 1886 On may3, 1886 police fired on a crowd of strikers of the McComick Harvest Machine Company, Chicago . At this at least one striker was killed five or six other were seriously wounded and an undetermined number was injured . At the beginning of Industrial Revolution people worked very long shifts lasting up to fourteen or even more hours a day. This is why, in the 1880s a movement calling for an eight hour workday began among the workers. If the workers did not stand up and demand their rights, they would continue to be exploited. So, the day is of great importance for the working people all around the world.